We’re thrilled to announce that our Fenway: South End location has been officially designated as a PCMH (Patient Centered Medical Home) PRIME Certified health care facility. This recognition is even more exciting as it makes Fenway: South End the first primary care practice in Massachusetts to be PCMH PRIME Certified.
The Massachusetts Health Policy Commission (HPC), in collaboration with NCQA, created the PCMH PRIME program to promote best practices for integrating behavioral health care into a patient-centered primary care setting. To become PCMH PRIME certified, health centers must demonstrate excellence in the following criteria:
- Behavioral Health Integration: Integration of behavioral health through formal agreements, co-location or provider integration.
- Comprehensive Health Assessment: Comprehensive health assessments that include screenings for behavioral health conditions, such as depression, post-partum depression, anxiety, developmental delays and substance use disorder.
- Identifying High-Risk Patients: IA system for identifying high-risk patients for targeted care management.
- Referral Tracking and Follow-Up: Tracking and following up on referrals to specialists, including behavioral healthcare providers.
- Evidence-Based Decision Support: Using evidence-based guidelines to make decisions about support for mental health and substance use disorders.
- Addiction Treatment: Medication-assisted treatment for addiction.
Behavioral health conditions, including mental illnesses and substance use disorders, are far too often under-diagnosed and under-treated. This is a serious public health problem nationally and across the Commonwealth. Behavioral health issues can often be identified first in a primary care setting, and there is growing consensus that behavioral health needs to be well integrated into primary care. Here at Fenway, programs like PCHM PRIME help us in our mission to deliver better, integrated care to our patients, regardless of their diagnosis or ability to pay.
Earning this recognition is a great honor that involved many months of careful planning. This certification is the result of the hard work and dedication of the entire Fenway: South End team under the supervision of Fenway Health Director of Quality Improvement Alicia Anderson, who oversaw the certification process.
Please join us in congratulating the incredible staff at Fenway: South End for making this PCMH PRIME certification possible!
Want to receive email updates about what’s happening at Fenway Health? Sign up here.