Advancing Excellence in Sexual and Gender Minority Health
Thank you for atttending last year’s conference! Please be sure to check for more information in the future.
We are happy to announce that registration is now open for Advancing Excellence in Sexual and Gender Minority Health Education: a Train-the-trainer Course for All Healthcare Professionals, to be held March 25-27, 20202, virtually.
- Course Disclosure Statement
- 1. Key Note – Advancing Health Equity for LGBTQ People
- 2. Creating An Inclusive and Welcoming Environment
- 3. Health Disparities for LGBTQ People
- 4. Collecting SOGI Data
- 5. HIV Treatment and Prevention for LGBTQ People
- 6. Taking an Affirming Sexual History
- 7. Transgender Health
- 8. Sexual Health for Transgender and Gender Diverse People
- 9a. Behavioral Health Integration
- 9c. Body Positivity and Pleasure
- 9d. STI Prevention and Treatment
- 9e. Trauma-Informed Care
- 10. Care for LGBTQ People of Color
- 11. Multidisciplinary Care
- 12. Implicit and Provider Bias
- 13a. Care for LGBTQIA+ Youth and Adolescents
- 13b. Health of Intersex People
- 13c. LGBTQ Aging Change Challenge and Resilience
- 13d. OBGYN and Fertility Care for LGBTQIA+ Persons
- 13e. Gender Affirming Hormone Therapy
Additional PDFs of the session slides will be uploaded this week.
This year’s conference is being offered as a national course accredited by Harvard Medical School.
This conference is designed to train the whole health care team in providing competent and confident health care, grounded in research evidence and best clinical practices. Sessions are led by expert faculty specialized in transgender-focused research and patient care. The conference is appropriate for all members of health care teams, including physicians, behavioral health care providers, physician assistants, nurses, and other staff.
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Apply common concepts and terminology used by sexual and gender minority (SGM) people to describe their sexual orientation and gender identity;
- Identify challenges in collecting data about SGM populations;
- Identify one key health disparity affecting each SGM subpopulation;
- Utilize the four core tenets of evidence-based care for SGM patients (e.g., affirming sexual orientation, affirming gender identity, trauma-informed care, and behavioral health integration)
- Incorporate actionable steps for routine sexual orientation and gender identity data collection in one’s clinical practice.
All sessions will be held at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel.
A limited block of rooms has been reserved at the Boston Park Plaza. The deadline to book rooms at the discounted room rate is 5:00 PM EST on Thursday, February 27, 2020. Please specify that you are enrolled in this course to receive a conference rate.
Health care providers, physician assistants, nurses, and other staff working in community health centers, safety-net organizations and student health clinics.
This conference is presented by experts from Fenway Health and our network of local and national partners.
American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
This Live activity, Advancing Excellence in Sexual and Gender Minority Health , with a beginning date of 03/20/2020, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 18.00 Prescribed credit(s) by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Nurse Practitioners and Registered Nurses
For the purpose of recertification, the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board and American Nurses Credentialing Center accept AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ issued by organizations accredited by the ACCME (Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education). We would also suggest that learners check with their state licensing board to ensure they accept reciprocity with AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for re-licensure.
The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) states that AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ are acceptable for continuing medical education requirements for recertification. We would also suggest that learners check with their state licensing board to ensure they accept reciprocity with AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for re-licensure.
Please check back for additional credits as they are approved.
Refunds, less an administrative fee of $75, will be issued for all cancellations received two weeks prior to the start of the course. No refund will be issued should cancellation occur less than two weeks prior. No-shows are subject to the full course fee.
All sessions will be held virtually.
Questions & Inquiries
The Fenway Guide to LGBT Health
Fenway Health is home to the world’s first medical textbook focused on LGBT health. The Fenway Guide is a must-have resource for clinicians, students, and researchers working in hospitals, clinics, universities, libraries, and private practices in every community.
Online Education and Resources
The National LGBTQIA+ Health Education Center provides educational programs, resources, and consultation to health care organizations with the goal of optimizing quality, cost-effective health care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual, and all sexual and gender minority (LGBTQIA+) people.