The LGBT Health Education Center at The Fenway Institute’s third annual “Advancing Excellence in Transgender Health” Conference is just around the corner, and seats are filling up quickly. The conference, which runs from October 13 to 14, 2017, is an opportunity for health care professionals to learn essential information on providing affirming care for transgender and gender non-conforming patients.
Advancing Excellence in Transgender Health was developed in response to the high volume of queries from clinicians and health care staff seeking to learn about providing high-quality care for adults, adolescents, and children who are questioning their gender identity or who identify as transgender or gender non-conforming.
This conference is designed to train the whole health care team in providing competent and confident gender-affirmative health care, grounded in research evidence and best clinical practices. Sessions are led by expert faculty specialized in transgender-focused research and patient care. The conference is appropriate for all members of health care teams, including physicians, behavioral health care providers, physician assistants, nurses, and other staff.
Conference topics will include:
- Gender-Affirmative Health Care: Terminology, Demographics, and Epidemiology
- Gender Identity Development in Children and Adolescents
- Transgender Adults Community Panel
- Behavioral Health Care for Transgender Adults
- Behavioral Health Assessment and Referrals for Gender-Affirming Surgery
- Primary Medical and Preventative Care Needs of Transgender Clients
- Obstetric Care and Reproductive Health for Transgender Clients
- Gender-Affirming Hormone Therapy
- Behavioral Health Care for Gender Diverse Children and Adolescents
- Family Systems of Transgender Children
- Transgender Youth Community Panel
- Transgender People and HIV
- Gender-Affirming Surgeries
- Gender-Affirming Sexual Health Care
- Transgender and Gender Non-conforming People of Color
In addition to didactic presentations, attendees will learn from panels of transgender community members and have the opportunity to engage in interactive case discussions that highlight medical and behavioral health approaches to gender-affirmative care, led by experienced clinicians specialized in transgender health.