The first step of your journey is to figure out if you need or want to change.
Try to answer the following questions:
1. Have you often gambled longer than you had planned?
2. Have you often gambled until your last dollar was gone?
3. Have thoughts of gambling caused you to lose sleep?
4. Have you used your income or savings to gamble while letting bills go unpaid?
5. Have you made repeated, unsuccessful attempts to stop gambling?
6. Have you broken the law or considered breaking the law to pay for your gambling?
7. Have you borrowed money to pay for your gambling?
8. Have you felt depressed or suicidal because of your gambling losses?
9. Have you been remorseful after gambling?
10. Have you ever gambled to get money to meet your financial obligations?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then you may want to consider contacting Fenway Health at 617.267.0900.
For more information to understand and assess your gambling, check out additional exercises from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health’s workbook: Your First Step to Change.